In 1982 a huge revolution occurred in the world of hand-held firearms. Seemingly from out of the blue came the much celebrated and widely acclaimed Glock 17 pistol. What is more surprising is that the inventor Gaston Glock had never previously invented a firearm of any kind. As usual, the new kid on the block was quickly rejected by skeptics and conservatives who believed that the new product would get nowhere. And they seemed to be well justified. After all, the Glock Pistol 17 was merely a plastic gun that would never compete with its famous metallic cousin! Or so it was said.
To their consternation and utter disbelief, the opposite happened. Only 10 years later, by 1992, the Glock Gun 17 pistol had already sold well over 350,000 pieces with 250,000 sold out in the United States only! The big question is what made the Glock 17 pistol so popular in so many countries within such a short time? What was the secret behind the runaway success of this version of the Johnnie-come-
The Fascinating History of the Glock Pistol
In 1982, an ordinary curtain rod maker in Australia started having big ideas. His name was Gaston Glock. There was a need to equip his national army with an effective model of a handgun that would stand the test of time Trouble was Glock had never developed anything resembling a gun or firearm. He was a simple rod-maker!
Yet Glock did not lose heart, quickly putting together a group of leading handgun experts carefully selected from all over the European continent. Some were professionals who served in the police and the army. A few had civilian backgrounds. All were top-notch firearm experts. In a short while, after a series of tests led by Gaston Glock himself the genius gun was developed. It became the 17th patent, hence earning the tag, the Glock 17.
As earlier stated, many gun experts initially wrote off the Glock pistol as a non-starter, a momentary cloud that would quickly pass away without a trace. After all, a better version of handguns already existed that were tried and tested for centuries. Among the kings of the handgun world was the celebrated Smith and Wesson Reasons Why Experts Doubted the Glock Pistol.
- The inventor Gaston Glock was not a renowned gun expert. Moreover the newly invented.
- plastic-covered gun’ was considered inferior to popular metal guns that were thought to be more effective in combat. It was jokingly referred to as a plastic gun mainly because of large amounts of plastic used to design the body.
- Due to its dubious plastic credentials, the Gaston Glock gun’s durability was put into doubt compared to the conventional metallic weapons.
- plastic gun, more like a toy would be unreliable and unsuitable especially when dealing with ruthless criminals.
- There was another issue? What would happen in major airports if one carried the Glock pistol? It was thought that the new gun would circumvent efforts to detect metallic guns and encourage criminal activity.
Pundits Proved Wrong
Eventually, the experts were proved wrong as the Glock pistol sales and popularity soared worldwide. Before long, the gun was used in more than 48 countries and became popular with both the law-enforcement agencies like the police and the military and also with civilian users. What is more, records showed that the gun had become a darling of criminals!
In 1982 the Austrian police and army already used the gun to a large degree. Soon the Swedish and Norwegian forces followed suit and NATO later declared the gun as a standard classified firearm. By 1988 the US police, army, and the FBI had adopted the gun. In 2013 the British army its arsenal with the Glock 17. Popular features of the Glock 17:
- The large amounts of plastic used made it lightweight
.Thelarge amounts of plastic used made it lightweight
- It’s of lack of external safety gave it an advantage over many semi-automatic handguns
- It proved to be quite durable.
Best Glock for Home Defence The Glock 17 gun became the best Glock for home defense due to the following factors, Quick aiming, With the Glock 17 one could quickly aim and be on target. The US police discovered the officers learned how to use it quickly and they became more accurate marksmen. Light trigger pull, This feature of the Glock 17 meant it was easy to use and reliable. This also makes the best Glock for home defense. Low penetration, The Glock 17 ensures you cannot easily miss target due to its low penetration feature. Easy handling, The Glock 17 is, again the best Glock for home defense. It’s easy to handle even if combat takes place in a small room. No doubt, the Glock 17 was a wonderful invention of the 21st century that revolutionized everything. Do you need a firearm for self-defense? Yes, the Glock 17 is the best Glock for home defense.